<$BlogRSDURL$>
Pointless Website Blog
Because I missed it, all right?
Sunday, February 27, 2005
 
I forgot what a great album "A Divina Comedia ou Ando Meio Desligado" by Os Mutantes is. It's not produced in the U.S. anymore, but I'm sure you could find a copy at MusicStack or GEMM. The entire album is a criticism of the repressive military rule over Brazil at that time and social stagnation in Brazilian culture, but it's done in such a wildly creative and hilarious way that the listener can't help but love it. The fact that they were all so damn charming may have been a good part of the reason why they got to stick around while peers Caetano Veloso and Gilberto Gil were exiled for subversive lyrics and views. Honestly, I think bands in the U.S. could learn a lot about musical rebellion from this album - the anti-Bush music being put out now all sounds pretty uninspired and lacking in subtlety by my count.
Comments:

 Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger